Document text
FOLKLORE -WHITE PIONEER.
Miss. Effie Cowan, P. W.
McLennan County, Texas.
District No. 8.
REFERENCE.
"THE STORY OF FALLS COUNTY COURT HOUSES,
Marlin, Texas.
No. of Words Si
File No. 240.
Page No. 1.
as told by Roy Eddins,
"Before anybody builds a house of business, he wants to know'of the
title to the land upon which he is to build is clear. He wants to know
if that land belongs to him and is free of any and all claims and future
litigations concerning it are nil- b -..-fore he puts a lot of money Into a
structure. Well the land upon which Falls county's new courthouse is to
be built (the same spot upon which four previous courthouse have been
built and where the business of the county has been transacted for eighty-
eight years) is "clear". It is indeed, the property of the county. But
not without litigation. Wait--:
"Even before a people builds a place of business --a courthouse --it
must know it has a right to do business. Falls county certainly has a
right to transact business --financial, economic, social, and otherwise.
Not only becouse it has done so for eighty-eight years, but also because it
waslegally created or constituted, away back yonder in 1E50,
show. Since Falls county is going to build a new courthouse
of Falls county, its county site and a few highlights of its
so the records
a brief history
early trials
and successes are apropriate. Special reference herein is made to the
county's court -houses, five of them(and perhaps another).
FOLKLORE -WHITE PION3ER,
Miss ffie 00wan.P.W.
McLennan County, Texas,
District 8e
File O. 240.
Page NO. 2.
San Jacinto. A government, a constitution and law and order was established
in the new empire A little later after a culmination of the shrewd schemes
of "Old Hickory" Jackson, former president of the United tates, and our
P/
own San Houston Texas became a part of the United States, "land of the
free and home of the brave".
Into the virgin wilderness Texas-- came people from everywhere in search
of new opportunities and adventure. Texas was on a boom. The state, under
its original constitution had been cat up into a few large counties or
districts. Soon, however, the Pressure of increasing population prompted
the state leglislature in tarn, to cut up these districts into smaller
units-- counties with county -sites more conveniently located for the people
in the various localities.
"During the war of Texas Independence a famous outpost of the colonies of
Texas was located at Triesca atop a hill overlookimcr the Falls of the Brazos
river-- now in lAas county. Citizens of Iliescaplayed a_major role in early
Texas history, as history records. We do not review that history here, we
hasten to our story of 7alls count* courthouses dnd some of the early hRp-
penings therein.
Viesca and ,the territory round about( now known as Palls county)was,
at the tie of the annexation of Texas to the United iJtates, in a large
district, known as the AilPal District. dhen the legislatAre started cutting
up the large districts into counties Falls county was carved from Milam
district."Falls"was an appropriate name for the new county because el the
falls of the Brazos had always been a destiny making rendezvous in Texas
history.
7fOLKLOR3-WHITE -IONPAR,
vise jffie Cowan,P.W.
McLennan County, Texas,
District 8.
File No. 240
Page NO. 3.
"F.nrly legislatures, perhaps looked at the mar and over the valiant
and patriotic service of Viesca and drew upon the map lines marking off
the new county. It passed necessary laws creating Falls county taking
for granted that Viesca would be the center of the county and become its
caTital. 3oon thereafter people on the east of the river-- early settlers
who h%d been forced eastward because it was safer tith the river between
them and the western Indians-- registered dissatisfaction over Viesca as
the county site. They called for an election to determine the location of
the site.
"3arliest minutes of the commissioners court of Thus county show that
following an election "Adams" wns chosen county site ff the new county. Ad
This site was located around the home of a Jr Adams whose home was under
a grove of trees a few hundred feet north of the present courthouse saunre
(the present home of -Ars A'ettie Allen). Why a change of name was made, nobody
knows definetely, nor do the commissioners court minutes show, but subse-
quent minutes of the court simply refer to the new county site as"Marlin."
While no reason for the change of name was made in the minutes it is gen
-erally conceded the name was giyen in honor of the Marlin family who lived
in the vivinity in early times and members who wrought well in the history
of this section and some of whom paid the supreme rrice in Indian raids
all of which is another story.
TT
VT
Where Was The First Courthouse
The commissioners curt minutes refer to a meeting of the com2issioners
court on October 5, 1850. The leglislature had designed Viesca as county
7nL7L"E-WHITE
Miss ffie Cowslia, P. W.
McLennan County, Texas,
Distrio B.
Pile No. 240
7age No.,4.
site. Tins the log cabin in which the court met at or near Viesca, where
once thrived a virile and proSerous settlement? Of course, there is
nothing at .iesca now —just a bald hill, a big oak tree, silent with all
its secrets, some,m0re trees nearby and another old tree dying. -hey
overlook a sr -,t where once the river flowed and created a falls. ven,
old Rio Brazos deserted the spot, for on one of its characteristict
antics it moved two miles north eastward --presumedly some time after tie
Civil 7far(late sixties) --creating the present day falls.
'But we digress! Did those early commissioners meet near Viesca? Who
knowa? There are some of the opinion that Palls County's first court-
house f in which, maybe, only one meeting of commissioners court was
held) was located west of the river. But we must let the mysterious
oast hold its mysteries. In this narrative, we stick to the records(com-
missiomers courts and distric court), which indicate Palls county's first
courthouse was a log house in "Ad/4ms --Inrlin. While pioneers who
knew the exact spot upon which it was located have '=assed rn, they
left a tradition, passed directly to many living today, that the old log
cabin stood on the identical spot known as the coutthouse sruare today.
'Who was the first commissioners? How selected? Once again the mysteriou s
past holds its secrets. The records are vague. The cOlmisaioners court
records the following county officers ---after the protest had been lodged
ithe the legislature as to location of the county site; ,PT-!;li the leg-
islature had accommodatingly decreased the size of the county, f.FT7-M an3
election had been held:
FOLELnR7-w HITE PIONER,
MIss Effie Cowan, P. W.
McLennan County, Texas,
Distric 8.
File No. 240
Page No. 5
C. S. Dodds, J. W. Morgan, and Wm. BloodworW; commissioners; J. W.
Jarvis, sheriff; L. B. Barton, county clerk;' Wm. Newton, distric clerk;
7. Barnes, assessor and collector; David 3.arton, justice of the peace;
7. W..BroadweK, coroner; John Mitchell, constable; S. A. Blain, treasurer;
and later the name of 3. I. Berton appears as assessor and collector,
instead of F. Barnes, who apparently never served.
Courthouse "Souare" Comes Into Existance
'There are available no descriptions of the log housee in which the county
transacted its basines!, in the beginning. Whatever it was --and it
risurely must have been crude, comparatively sl eaking--the pioneers, now
with a county to buila, started getting 'the house in order". One of the
first moves was to start condeination proceedings •to secure plenty
of ground around the log house. The land belonged to Allen H. Morrell,
soldier and adventurer, son of the famous Baptist preacher and organizer,
74. N. Morrell, (forerunner of the Baptist denomination in Texas.
'The condemnation order called for "a square 120 yards in length on four
sides, with streets sixty feet wide on the north, south, and west-.
From this it is conclusive a satisfactory street already existed on the
east. Thus —as the order was culminated --came into existence Palls
County's famous "courthouse square".
"In this brief historical reference, it is impractical to refer to all of
the courts' (commissioners and district) proceedings. A few references
are made, because they throw some light upon the outstanding happenings
as the county's facilities progressed from its first crude log houses
to the modern one now in the progress of construction.
FOLKLOR3-WHITE PIONEER,
Miss ffie Cowan, P. W.,
McLennan County, Texas,
District 8.
File No. 240
Page No. 6
Townsite Acauired.
"Most of the land around -about, belonged to Allen Morrell. The Com-
missioners wahted enough of it for a townsite. Morrell was, quite
expediently, appointed agent for the county.to acouire the property
and after a process of trading and exchanging of land and lots, ultimate-
ly, a townsite of 640 acres (one sauare mile) was acauired.
"Apparently Morrell was doing pretty good --and so was the connty under
the executive wisdomof its commissioners. Morrell, still acting as
agent, started selling lots for residents giving "quit —claim deeds and
warranting titles against litagation towit: Messrs. Stroud, Chambers
and Hoxey" in'the famous La Serda and Chambers land :grant disagreement.
Thus the county, from:the beginning, worked to clear title to the land
upon which its courthouse stood and pat the land aroundabout in order
that a town might grow in peace and tranquility.
Thaittles To Townsite Property cleared.
fl
The Litigation, according to Marlin Lawyers pertained to conflicting
claims of a Mexican citizen named La Serda and T. J. Chambers who later
got.a grant from the Republic of Texas. LP Serda, several years before
Texas was free of Mexico, came in possession of a land grant from the
government of Mexico. Sortgoe the land, of course, came into possession
of individualA through ybe agency of his grant and since property of
.4
individuals, acquiret:ethrough constituted authorities, regardless of who
they are --the government of 'Mexico, Texas or any other --are respected by
all governments and by all people, individuals owning this land under the
ITLKLORE-WHITE PIONE7R
Miss 3ffie Cowan, P. W.
McLennan County, Texas,
District 8.
LA Serda Grant held certain rights.
File No. 240
Page No. 7
"In the confusion following the war and the establishing of the Republic
of Texas, T. 1. Chambers received from Texas a grant of land in this
section also. It so happened that the grants overlapped and some of
the land in Falls County, including the one upon which the new county
site stood waa inCluded in both grants. Questions of priority of the
La Serda over the Chambers grant and that of a grant from Mexico a6 agains
one from the Republic of Texas, brought conflicting claims. Many lit-
igations sprang up. They continued for years. Therefore, as the town
lots of Marlin were sold by the commissioners court, it was the
tention of the court that individuals baying same should be protected
in their rights by the county itself, in the event of unfavorable lit-
igation over these conflicting grants.
"Ultimately, 0..f,coursa, the litigations, as far as the townsite of
Marlin was concerned, was adjusted. It is interesting to know that
aiorrell got some sort of mutual agreement from General Chambers where-
by be relinouished his claim to the 640 acres in miarlin, in return for
other concessiond elsewhere. Thus it was, the county got its "house
in ordel" to build a city and a better courthouse.
Highlights of Activities In The First Log Courthouse Here.
"As the townsite was divided into residence lots and streets were laid
off, one of the first acts of the commissioners' court, perhaps, urged
by its agent, Allen Morrell, and his father, an organizing preacher,
70LIKLORE--/HITE PIONEER,
Miss Effie Cowan, P. W.
McLennan dounty, Texas,
Distric 8.
Pile No, 240
Page No. 8
Z. N. Morrell of Baptist fame, set aside lots fitr churches. Tbe
court ordered Rev. Morrell to select a lot for a Baptist church. He
did--a lot which was very near the courthousg, slightly north on
east side of Marlin, Rockdam IWoo road(Ward Street). It served un-
til a comrtratively few years ago. Larkin Rogers. pioneer who left
many descendents, was appointed to select a lot for the Methodists.
The lot was chosen south of the courthouseon -bat is now Williams Street,
about where the 6ebasta Rouse stands today.
select a lot for a Presbyrterian church. He
courthouse, where the church stood for many
corner of Fortune and kerry streets.
F.W.0Apps was, reauested to
selected a lot west of the
years-- at a s-f:ot at the
"Organization of other denominations also came into existence in the
earlier days. However the above mentioned three, were recorded in the
courts minutes of o1851 and 1852. The Catholics had a church house on the
west side of the sauare and the Episcopals on the east side Both houses
were destroyed by fire at different times.
Of
course the early court was especially interested in new and essen-
-tial roads. any were created-- some running east, west, north and sottb.
Space dOes not ,-ermit their listing here. Patrols Patty -rollers of the
negro song 'Run Nigper Ran" fame) were appointed early, indicating the
existence of slavery and the court was interested in helping its citizens
slave owners to kee,, the elaves under control. Some of the early Patrols
were Captain Luke Church, Privates T.C.Jarvis, T.L.Menefee, Thomas Harvill
and William Keesee.
FOLKLORE -WRITE PIONEER,
Mies OM° Iowan, P. W.,
McLennan Obunty, Texas,
District 8.
:Tile No, 24 o
Page No. 9
Late in 1851, P. C. Whitaker was employed as county surveyor to run
the county lines and mart them. Once again here is evidence of the
business -like manner in which the pioneers started out to "set the
house in order", to find exactly where the boundaries of the new
county were located.
Pirat Jail: In 1852
"It was early in 1852 a contract was let to build a jail. The minutes
give the following instructions as to how it should be built" --house
14 x 16 feet in the clear, built of logs to be edged so that the will
fit down. It is to be a double wall of post bak timber and an eight
inch space between filled with rock, said house to be floored with .a
double layer of logs, one layer crossways to the other --and is to be
two stories high --second floor is to be one layer of logs and third
(ceiling) likewise.. There will not be but one wall on the second floor.
The wall is to be 9 feet from the lower floor to the second floor and
7 feet to the ceiling on the second floor."
*The jail cost 11145. Where was the jail built? The records do not
show. There is a tradition --and it is true, according to Col. George
Carter and Zenas Bartlett —that it was built north of the courthouse
square and east of Oraik street. It was on a large lot at corner of
Craik and Newtb%
"Since this is a story of4"alls county's courthouses, we pass over the
story of jails. However, it is interesting to note that this old log
TPOLKLORE-WHITE PIONM
Miss Effic, Cowan, P. W.
McLennan lounty, Texas,
District 8.
File No. 240
Page No. 10
jail --served until 1880, two years after the county's third court-
house was completed, before it was replaced. The jail finished in 1880
cost 4a2,500. It was built of brick by Edward Northcraft and, before
accepted by the court, was "measured and checked for workmanship" by
A. L. Branson and G. W. White. The original log jail was bought by
County Judge 3. C. Stuart.
"An interesting side -light concerning the jail of 1880 is that its
location was protested by a number of citizens —and it was finally con-
structed in the center of the west side of the courthouse square.
Later, as in the memories of the citizenship, the jail was again re-
built and modernized.
Early District Court Proceedings.
'After great care, following the early election in Falls county, the
court arranged bonds of the new officers of a new county, the musty
old records show. They are written in long band by the late Little
Berry Barton, one of the long line of Bprtons. The court proceeded -to
draw jurors for 7alls County's first court --in its crude log courthouse.
The records show C. L. Dobbs and G. ff. Morgan were commissioners, J.
Jarvis, sheriff and Aavid Barton, justice of the peace and L. B. Barton,
county clerk.
"Jurors were drawn --the first --as follows: Jeremiah leDsniel, Lake
Church, Alexander Hodge, Bennett George Robertson, L. H. Barton,
Isaac N. Crouch, David Rice, Allen -laness, Michael D. Castleman,
Lewis f'owers, John Hodge Aavid Barkley, P. C. Whitaker, A. G. q4olson,
FOLKLORE -WHITE PIONEER;
Ines Effie (Iowan, P. W.,
McLennan County, lexas,
District 8.
Pile NO.240
page No. 11
James Marlin, Wilburn Jones, Obarles Dancan, Pranklin Powers, Larkin
Rogers, Wm. Crouch(ineligible),-- Sparks, Smith, F. W. Capps,
G. D. Duncan, Wm. Hodge, Stephen Adkins, J, 4. Oapps, Rufus Marlin,
Wm. J. Morgan, Oarroll Powers. Wm. Crouch, James Wimberly, Morris
Adkins, John Mitchell and Alonzo Crouch'
"In April of that year, 1851, Judge R. E. B. Baylor called the new
county a district court together in the new town of Marlin. Joseph F.
Orosby, district attorney, was not present and /red A. Hill was ap-
pointed temporarily. he grand jury, not long empaneled, reported "no
true bills" and the court adjourned. And so,coart began --and the
wheels of justice started going 'round andiroand.
'A story of district court proceedings, of coarse, is another story,
distinctive of one of Palls county s courthouses. We mention the
opening of court, because it took place in the qoanty's original court-
house, traditionally described as "a primitive log affair, with but
one room and no flooring at first. Cedar lois were split and legs
inserted for seats, and the door opened on the south, with a large post
oak for shade in front of it. In the building, incidently, not only
was court held, school and church services were held there also.
:olitioal speaking and caucuses took place and social meetings, even to
dances were often in order.
"A chronological list of courts and proceedings and their respective
presiding judges and officers is impractical here. Judge R. E. B.
77.k.rnt
FOLKLORE -WHITE PIONEER,
Miss Effie Iowan, P. W.,
McLennan hanty, Texas,
District 8.
Pile No. 240
Page No. 12
Baylor of Baylor University fame, opened the court. Other noted
judges served in the old log house, included the Oommoner, John H.
Reagan, of Confederate fame and U. O. Senate fame and later, as
chairman of the Texas Railroad.Gommission.
"Criminal and civil cases tried in the courts were routine --in a
county inhabited by law-abiding and conservative -thinking people.
"In Passing the district court story, we mention here that the county
wandered around in several judicial districts during her career,
among them the third, thirteenth, twenty-third, nineteenth, and
fifty fourth. It is now the Eighty -Second District.
IT
Goarthoase of'1855 to 1870
In December 1853, two years after the county was Organized, it be-
came evident the old original log courthouse was inadequate.
a•
Blain. district clerk, had rented special rooms and it was necessary
for the court to allow rental expenses, which appear to have been
925 a month. A few days after this money was spent the court went
se far as to order that a contract be made for building a new court-
house --"to be letFebraary 1, 1854.
"However, when February 1st, rolled around' the matter was postponed,
probably because the court had its eyes and ears toward the state
legislature for assistance. A few days after February 1",' 1854, the
legislature DID come to the assistance of the county in the problem
of building a courthouse. By special enactment, the legislature
701,KLORE-WHITE PIONEER,
liss Effie Cowan,P.W.
McLennan county, Texas,
District 8.
Pile NO. 240
Page O. 13.
relinquished nine -tenths of the state tax due by Falls county for the
specific paxpose-of building the said house. etails of what followed
are meager. In tune of that year George 3.Green, J.H.MoKjjk D.W.F
Fiela and/Henry McKenzie were anpninted trustees to superintend building
of the house. They were suthorized to make contract, see the work thro'
to completion and provide furniture and fixtures for the house.
Apparently there were changes in the original plans for the house. The
original plans called for a structure costing i'5000 (including fixtures,
etc,"said courthouse to be forty feet square, built of rood merchan-
table brick, 2D feet high, sauare roof of zinc or as the court may direct
hereafter: to have four rooms below to have four chimneys, one fireplace
in each room and four in the court -room above; said house to have four in-
side doors and eight windows below and 12 windows above; also four out-
side doors to close the gal eries running through the house east, west,
north, nd south; the windows to have good venetian blinds and to have a
cupelo on to of said house; and said house to be well furniehdd: also have
stairs running from center of said house to the wall: said house to be
finished in workmanshi0 manner." '`n addition to the contract the court-
house trustees were' to furnish good seats and judge's stand, etc-- as
they may think proper for all necessary conveniences".
Following an election in August one of the first orders of the new
commissioners was to aoply neccessary laws for use of state tax, donated
by the state legislature for building the courthouse. Contract for the
courthouse was let to :lessrs. Cremer and Arnold.
FOLKLOR3-WRITE PIONUR,
mos NPFIE 00WAN,P.W.,
MO 1ENNAN COUNTY, Taxa!
District 8.
Interview continued
RIPERANOL
w ith Racy Eddins
Ma rim, Texas,
la, of.vicvdaa
2ile NO.44114
Page NO. 1.
"This Tuesday, July 4, 1939$ the,corner-stone of Falls county's new,couri
house is leveled with splendor of oerenony and patriotism. Once again
Falls county takes a forward step in its march of progress. Typical of tbe,
progress of people who carved. Texas froth a wilderness is the evolution of:
the county's courthouses- from a log cabin "Somewhere in the wilderness"
through struggles witht4, crudtties of pioneer life, through heartaches
and trials of the Civil War and Reconstruction days through the evoldtien
from the horse drawn era to the age of science and marvels of 1939. Soon
the business of the county will again be housed, in a new abode, creditable
as have other abodes bean to Falls county.
With impressive rituals which have been handed down through the years
the Grand: Masonic Lodge of 4axas, Tuesday conducted ceremonies each as
have been conducted in other years for the other county courthouses. Dr
v) 'William D.baughtery of Waco, and eillaplin of the (=rand Lodge, was the'oritsr
of the occasion, he having replaced United States senator Tom Connally,,who
was unable to attend the program,dle to unforseen circumstances.
IV
Tom Maartley of waco, grand secretary of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter,
was selected master of ceremonies for the corner stone laying which began
on the court -house lawn at 3-30 p.m. preceded by a band concert which start
30 minutes earlier. The day for the Masons began at 1.p.m0 when a luncheon
was held at the Falls Hotel honoring Grand Master Lee LockwOod and other
Grand Lodge officials.
FOLKLOREir-WHITE PION3ER,
!Lis S ?iffie Cowan, P.W.
—gcLennan County, Texas,
District 8.
ile NO. 240.
Page NO. 2.
Following is the official roster of Grand Lodge officers who partici-
pated in levelling the cornerstone, of the Falls county's new courthouse
on July 4, 1939. Grand faster M.W. Lee Lockwood of Waco. Acting as Deputy
9„d,„).1 --f-..A:cv hlat4
Grand Master, R.W., Gus Brandt, P.G.M. of HoustontilActing as Grand Senior
bi4„1
Warden: orge H.Carter of 14arlin., Grand TreasurerrR.W. J.J.Gallaher of
/1
Waco: Grand Secretarye-R.W. G.H.Belwe of' Waco: 4rand Orator r R.W. Rev.
Wm D.Daugherty of Waco: Acting as Grand Architect ,R.W. Alva gryan P.G.M
Waco: Aating as ihiand$enior Deacon,R.W.„W.A.Lang of Houston! Acting as
Grand Junior 1)eacon R.W., C.F.Tankersly of Marlin.9fAx.40"1"4):-17_:_047
t,t
Acting as Grand Senior 6teward R.L, C.W. Rankin of Brenham. Acting as
Grand Junior Steward R.W., D .L.DaPuy of Fairfield.Grand Tiler, W. Dr L.
W.Jones of gaco. Bearer of Constitution R.71. Perry Zeele of Mertens.
earer of Bible R.W. D.O.Hall of Newby. Acting as Master of Leromonies
Hon. Tom U.Bartley of Waco.
A Bible and records oz the :Jasonic lodges of Falls county and of the G
Grand Lodge were deposited in the copper box placed in the crypt in the r
rear of the cornerstone. Among other items A.aced in the box were copies of
Falls county and State papers including the 'marlin Jemocrat, ialy 4,1239
daily and semi-weekly, records of the city and county, pictures of the old
Coutthouse, public buildings of the cit
nd countyt membership roster of
'iJarlin and 1-tosebud Chambers of `;ommerce. Marlin Lions and Rotary Club,
Post No. 31, American gion and other papers.
The i4asons marched from the iiiasonic enple to the courthouse, prior to
the corner stone ceremonies. The music was furnished by Scheefs Perry band
sugmented by members of the Marlin High school bands of past years. A large
FOLKLORE -WRITE PIONEER,
-Miss ffie Cowan, P.W.
McLennan County, Texas,
District 80
File NO. 240.
Page NO. 3.
number of Falls county and Central Texas residents braved the hot July s
sun to attend the ceremonies, Also an advance copy of the speech which
was to be ,elivered by Benator Tom onnally was deposited by J.B. Turner,
.chairman of the local committe. At the conclusion of the program at the
courthouse the asons returned to the lodge room and closed the lodge
and were then entertained informally at the home of "Ir and Mrs C.F.Tanker-
slay. A -session of the liarlin Lodge Tuesday evening concluded the days
program.
It was in 1887 that the corner -stone of the court -house which has just
been torn down to rnake ro6 for the new one Was laid. On that occasion
a big barbecue was held. -Ranc(hmen contributed beeves rolling fat on the
Pnen range or in green pastures owned by them. 3verybody in the town and
country took a day off and rode into town, horseback, mule-bachdrove in
their farm waP,-ons surries carriages buggies or carts. hat was called
hardtack was served with the beef, properly cooked and seasoned."Chasern
was black coffee made in wash -pots and served with long handled tin dippers
or dippers made of gourds.
At night a big dance wee held down on dard street (the new highway
passes through itj, I wag meld in Uarlin park. L)n the occasion of the
laying or this cornerstone in1887 the music was furnished by the ,iarlin
Brass Band, an organization of lIarlin men which furnished the band music
for public occasions for many years. The asonic Grand Lodge officiated
1939
at this 1887 ceremony as it did in the fourth of julyclN ceremony the other
day But only one man who officiated at that time was here to again see
another cornerstone laying.
7OLKLORE-WHITE PIONEER,
Miss ffie Cowan, P.W.
McLennan County, Texas,
District p.
File NO. 240
Page NO. 4.
The cornerstone services of 1887 were held on the exact spot where they
were held on the fourth of July, 1939 at the northeast corner of the build
lag. The officers of the grand L dge for 1887 were the following,
ftf. )4erAA440S•A•.' to S ti
0
"M.W.G.Master-- A.J.Rese. D.G.Master-Anson Rainey.,\G-4. Warden-A.S.Rictim
ardson.iirand treasurer-- H.Scherffins. Grand i-Jecretary-- T.W.Hudson.
No. 152, A .7 AND A.J.
The officers of "Aarlin Lodge in 1881 were; W.B.Sheilds W.D.Kyser,
A
S.W.; I.J.Pringle J.W.; W.A.Oltorf, treasurer,: C.T.Curry, sec; C.J.Bart-
lett S.D.; U.C.Brewer, J.D.; R.Rogers, S. Steward; S.A.Silverman, J.Steward;
A.S.Holloway, Tiler. Past Masters; 7.L.Patillo, W.S.Hunnicutt, R.C.Nettles,
M.H.Curry, I.J.Pringle, "1.W.Hunnicutt.
When Aev. .N.Morrell, who rode from Tennessee to the al1s of the Brazos
on the back of a mule in 1835, as he was approaching one of the outposts of
civilization he met a strang4 body of men from whose conversation he learned
sone had travelled in the west, some in the south, north and east. He felt
perfectly safe for he himself was a traveler. ?his was some twenty or more
years before Lodge NO. 152 was organized at -Aarlin. Came many other pion...
eers who had been reared in the old '"tates, and wit: them came those who
were members of asonic lodges.
"In reference to laying cornerstones of the courthouse in Marlin was found
among the "tispensations for Corner Stones" in the proceeditgs of the Grand
Lodge which met in 1887 as follows- re orted by the 4eceetary of the odge.
"To Marlin Lodge Bo. 152 to lay cornerstone' of Palls county, Jane 15,
I had the pleasure of being present and presiding upon t is occasion. A a
barbecue was prepared for the occasion and there was said to be about 5000
people present. A pleasant day for all'?tr, I L) ---L'1"`
FOLKLOR3-WHITE PIONEER,
MISS EFFIE COWAN; P.W.
MCLENNAN COUNTY? TEXAS?
DISTRICT
FILE NO.240)
Page NO. 5.
"During that same year --18$7 the same records show connerstones in
other sections of Texas were laid by the Lodge as follows; Female Dept,
Baylor- Waco University, "aco, April 21. high 6chool Building, Mason
May 2.; 44ethodist L'hruch, FortWorth, May 4.; Cumberland PresbyteriAn Church,
Tyler, >ug.141; Ladies Annex, Southwestern University, Georgetown, Sep. 22.
Masonic Building, Sulpher Springs, Oct 26.
The proceediugs show as the epresentative of Subordinate Lodge to the
Grand Lodge meeting that year (Houston) of "Marlin Lodge, NO, 152, W.W.
Hinnicatt, Proxy." Marlin lodge was then in the Fifteenth District, R.W.
Brother, W.W.Hunnicatt, comprised of the'following lodges; 3ataw No.233;
Grayson, No. 265; Groesbeck, No. 354; Mt. Calm. No. 204; Potterville. No.
351; Springfield, No. 74; Thornton No. 486; Marlin No. 152; Reagan,
No. 480; Cnrolina,No. 330; E.1.Wilder, No. 339; Limestone, No. 616; Moore-
-vine, No. 639.
"Personell of the lodges active in Masonic work in 1887 in Falls county
comrised the following; (Above roster included of Lodge 152, larlih).
Carolina, NO. 730, at Alpee-- .11.; N.S.Bonner, Sec: 35 members.
Reagan, No. 480-- J.H.T.Ab Daniel,W.M.; John :1.Clark,Sec. 5 members.
'T Master -.:asons of -irarlim Lodge No. 152 for the .ziar 1887 were; J.H.Andera
T.D.Alexander, John Ashworth, 77.H.Agan,,R.F.Alexnnder, 4.C.Bryah, A.I.Bran-
son,7.T.Bentley, II.C.Brewer,C.J.BartlettcC.H.Bartlett, H.G.Carter, 11.H.Curry,
George Cousins, 0.T.Curry, W-.J.DeBardeleben, A.J.Daughterty, Geo. prank,
2i.T. Fairy, -_;lose Frankel, I. A. Fauver, ':.S.Hannicutt
4..Holloway, „Hunnicutt, A.Horne, J.3.Hood, J.11.Jolly, Geo. A.King, Sr.
70L-1-02.-3-7=
Miss :ffie Owlyan,P.W.
4cLennan ,,ounty, Texas,
District 8.
W.D.Kyser, Mose .Jevy, J.R.UcClanahan,
Pile No. 240.
Page 1;0. 6.
R.C.Nettles,
Louis Nivetb, J.D.Orltorf, J.T.Owens, W.A.Orltorf, W.L.Patillo, J.A.PoWers,
I.J.Pringle, Va.:aitter, N.Rosenthal, R.Rogers,
H.F.;pencer, G.G. later, H.Simon, A.J.00lons, 4.B.heilcs,
T.C.spencor, H.J..-Amonton,G.a.valite, J.T. Wilsiord.- Total 59 members.
YT
,ntexed &p.prentices weze ;;..L.Bennett, .laron Bledsoe, C.H.Onlvert, Frank
Cain, Henry Coleman,J.L.Caldall, T.A.Hope, L C. i1iiams, J.V.Mlow, J.D.
Smith, '1.A.Hailey,H.M.Byraen; Fellow Graftsmen were S.3.Easley. emitted;
A 71.Davis,W. Deaths;J.P.Parker, Dave 'lrazier.
"From the Grand Lodge the follo-iug was taken from the records of the
proceedings of this lodge a reference in available records to Jarlin's
-Lodge was ,Inder date of January 15, 1855, when the Grand Lodge iet at"early
candlelight, January 15, 1855". "The returns of Marlin odge under Die.:
Pensation hive been returned and I gm gratified in respectfully recommen-
ding a charter be issued to said -odge believong that the work there
entrusted to faithful hands. I granted one dispensation to confer de-
grees in Diasonry upon Brother '2homas Harrison of :arlin. This work was done
at my re_iuest to exemplify the work at ,,,airfield before the Masters could
met me there and I re uested Lodge, U.D. to permit Third degrees
in :“,asonry to be conferred upon rother's Oraik and '.iard at Springfield
Lodge on the 16th, day of December which was granted. This will account
for these brethern being ret2rn-d as Masons AD.d it not appearing, in their
records where the degree was confered". 21sehwere in the rroceedings .of
the Grand -LJodge January 17, 1855
the Oommittee on Work;
tarlin
.:bears this notation in the rer:ortof
fodgeflAD. Falls)county; Work is
nLTILOR3-1HIT:2; PICN33R,
ass ffie "owan,P.Mr.
McLennan County, Tex -s,
District 8.
Pile 70: 240
Page NO.?.
correct except omission of county and state and re orting the Lodge ad-
journed instead of c lied off or closed. Returns corrected. We recommend
a charter be issued on payment of fees.
the committee was signed, 'James Sorley, Chairman.
The renort of
4n returns of" o .ge Under Jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Texas
for the year, L.D.1856", ar1in is shown to have a charter, n]mber 152,
assigned and its officers at work. The records pLow thatarlln odge 162.
held at arlin, :J1s county on the Second Friday of each month. Officers
were -2.1.Perry,'1.1,1
Hunnicutt„ 1.; J.Lang, W.Xillebrew Treas,
J.Craik Secretary,: H.D.A1liams, .D.: ].Bartlett,J.D.; J.JRcobs,Steward,;
.11.7.Coffey teward; J. Stansbury,Tiler."Records so im erfect here that no
list o.-7_ members could be mde out.
ti
L 'Correct list of 1l odges', in anther section of the proceedings
of tLat year, 1856, reveals that -arlin Lodge o. 152 had 39 members and
that it was in the 13th, District, comprised of the following counties;
"Brazos- Robertson- 'a11s- l'imestne- Hill- Navarro- Limestone- Leon."
Ugficers of the Grand Lodge of exas when it convened in 1856 were; P.B.
Sexton,-1.G.M.; Jno. B.McMahon, D.S.M.; H.Sami)son, G.S:Y.; J.J.Modride4G;J.11.
H.G. Cartwell, Treas. A.S.Rathven, Sec. The records are more secific for
the year 1857, and more complete. They read as follows; "Return of Lodges.
1857, Dodge Uo. 152. Second Tuesday ih each month. Officers;
J.L.Conoly,W.LT.; James Oraik,8.W.; W.S.Hunnicutt,J.W.:Z.Bartlett, treas.;
S.B.Barclay, Sec.; H.T.Williams,.D.; D.11.Barclay,J.D.: J.H.Price,teward;
S.S.Ward, Steware.SJas. Sarton, Tiler,;
POLKLOR3-WHITE PION33R,
Mips ffie Cowan, P.W.
McLennan County, Texas,
Dittrict 8.
File NO. 240.
Page NO. 8.
t-iaster asons of .4arlin Lodge NO. 152 for 1857 were; 4.Wright, ohn
Forbes, L.1,:.Gay, J.D.Wtight, Jesse rothers, J.H.Pierson, Thos. Harrison,
J.W. Norwood, David Barclay, J.L.Straughn, D.G.Adams, James Lang, J.E.
Francks, 2enry jteele, H.H.2ortune, Joseph Stansbury, Thos. Bennett, Geo.
3immons, J.B.Welch, C.T. Barclay, T.P.Aycock, Bafillebr4w, Jas. quffey,
L.D.2orbes, H.J.1,10:1-night,Isaac Jacobs, '.Newton.
AAr4
The first o arthoase of 7'alls county te a log cabinwstill in existence
on the St Clair farm near -hilton. The location of this c-arthouse apparem-
tly was at the old municipal town of Viesca, across the lirazos river from
a ,istance of five or six miles(this was before Jarlin was in exis-
tence). Viesca was for a short time the capital of -"alla county as it had
been of the Robertson Colony in the early 1830's. However the available
records do not clearly establish just ,tera this oll building was when it
was used as a courthouse-- Viesca or
"from the humble house of 'Llls county's first effort for law and order
the modern abode it villmmu-h,ve 4the me blesEings of liberties en-
yed by the -mesican ,eo2le were baought )gorth in the Adress(at the cere-
onies Which took fl:'ce on the 4th of July 1939)by Rev. alliam D.Daugherty
Atco, Gr ad Chaplain of the Lasonic lrand Lodge of Texas. Dr Daugherty,
b titating for -enator l'om Connally told his audience ,"In this great country
our's we buy news1.-rers that re resent the thinking of its editors and the
blishers write what they please and not what they are told tp write by a
ctator'.
70IJKLORE-'7IT3 PIONEER,
Mies Effie Cowan,P.W.
McTiennan County, Texas,
District 8.
File NO.240
Page NO. 9.
He stressed the fact that the Masons were firm believers in liberty
freedom and the worship of the church and sought to -nreserve those insti-
tutions which would promote Peace, Prosperity and happiness among the nation's
of the world. Dr Daugherty referred to the signing of the iJeclaration of
iniePendence 163 years ago and discussed the part which Masonry had played
in the early history of the United States and even today. He called atten-
tion to the fact that George "ashington was A Mason as were most of his Ool-
onial military leaders and the governors of the 13 original states, aid.-
-ing that the Declaration of IndePendence was signed on a Masonic alter.
During the course of his address, 1)r Daugherty held a silver dollar
coined in 1878, in his hand and commented on the inscription on the coin,
pointing out that the hope motto and faith of the United States was en-
graved on the silver coin.Holding the dollar in his hand, where it could
be seen plainly by his hearers, Dr Daugherty said; Gn this coinAwfind
the hope of America- liberty. We enjoy liberties in the United States which
are denied others in totalitarian states. we are free to speak as we please
and to worship God as we please. There is no one to stop us from enjoying.
the freedom of speech, press and worship.
"However we should not forget that the liberties which we enjoy as a mat-
ter of course were purchased for as by our forefathers at a great coat of
life and blood. iloo often, we casually accept the great blessings of liberty
and ignore the enemies that menace as from within and without. in the total
itarian states we find that human tersOnglity and liberty subjugated ini
degenerated in contrast with the unlimited freedom which we enjoy in the
United States. We shall never surrender our freedom which we have won So
P =LORE -MUTE ZIONSZR.
te BMA Cowan, P.w.'
M41ennan County, Texas,
District 8.
File NO. g40*
Page NO. 10.
paarly and we should constantly fight against foes of our nation..
Then the motto of America, is found on this coin. The inacrilation /11 Pin-
ribus Unttm,' is literally translated" One Among Many", but rerefer today
to iranslate it "In Unity There Is Strength". 0 was the father of our
country, George -ashington, who said -that if the United States was ever to
beeome a great commonwealth, it would be by a tnity in government, the re-
mov4 of geograDhical distinctions and strict obedience to the laws- no mat-
-ter how minor they may be.
wAmerica's faith is also inscribed on this silver dollar in the simple
statement' In God We Trustl,Our faith should not be something that is easual,
but Something that is enduring, that lasts through times of hardship as well
as in good tiqies. We see natione with many different types of philosiphies.
Some believe'Blessed is that nation whose God is great military strength'.
Saab is the philosinhy of the distator nations. Others substitute pleasure
money or something for God, but in the United States we accept the Holy
Father as our God."